An educational project for street-children with a GOAL!
“Grow 2010” is a registered Trademark
Project endorsed by “Baroque 2000”
NonProfit organisation (032-838-NPO)
The new South Africa has not yet resolved welfare problems of a large number of people.
Unemployment is high and many people struggle for survival. As a result, children of the destitute families as well as the ones who lost their relatives are often pushed on the street pavements and beg in an attempt to collect the meager means for their basic needs.
They are also often denied access to basic education and have to rely on welfare organisations to take their destiny in hands.
The project “GROW 2010” aims at contributing to this effort in bringing to these children some personal focus in life and a chance to learn how to play a musical instrument and therefore regain some dignity and pride.
Once involved in this project it will help them to be occupied with a creative and rewarding activity else than roam aimlessly on street pavements and at traffic lights, hoping for some evasive, compassionate and mostly temporary help.
“GROW 2010” is short for Grass Roots Orchestra 2010.
- To teach orchestra instruments to children in shelters
- To get street children up to a level of playing so to form a grass root orchestra which will
- perform at various events during the Soccer World Cup in 2010.
- Offer music lessons to street children.
- Include the children in a structured and progressive educational program.
- Encourage their artistic skills and make them proud of their achievements.
- Surround the children with a caring and supportive professional musical and artistic
- Secure funding for a continuous project development.
- Engage professional musicians for a high quality teaching program.
- Encourage social behavior, respect of peers and personal pride through performing in groups.
- Attract the interest and support from the public for a group of motivated and aspiring children.
- The project will start in the later part of 2005.
- The organisation will make all efforts to secure adequate funding prior to the start of the project.
- A premise will be found and adequately developed so to offer a suitable home for the project.
- The project is expected to function with a view to build an orchestra for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
- Further to this date the children will be orientated to alternative music schools (ex. Durban Music school) for further education.
- String, woodwind and brass instruments, general musicianship and theory will be taught.
- Musical instruments and teaching materials will be purchased by the organisation and will be made available for practicing and performing purposes.
- “GROW 2010” will be operating under the umbrella of Baroque 2000, a registered nonprofit organisation.
- One Chair person/secretary
- One treasurer
- Teaching personnel
- Music lesson will be given once a week in English and Zulu languages by professional players and teachers.
- 4 string teachers ( violin, viola, cello and double Bass)
- 3 woodwind teachers (flute, clarinet and oboe)
- 3 Brass teachers (trumpet, trombone and tuba)
The team behind “GROW 2010” is highly committed to this project and needs your assistance. We hope to find the required support from your esteemed organisation.
Project endorsed by :
Reg. Number: 032-838-NPO
GROW 2010™ - ACTION PLAN 2005 - 2010
|Year 1 (2005)||Month|
|Year 2 (2006)|
|1. Teaching group & individual)||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|2. 1st public performance by most advanced pupils||x||x|
|Year 3 (2007)|
|2. Public performances (individuals)||x||x||x|
|4. Orchestra formation||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Year 4 (2008)|
|2. Public performances (individuals)||x||x||x||x||x|
|4. Orchestra performances||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Year 5 (2009)|
|2. Orchestra performances||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|3. Exams – 1st selection for 2010||x||x|
|3. Start of selected Orchestra 2010||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Year 6 (2010)|
|2. Orchestra performances||x||x||x||x||x|
|3. Final selection for 2010 orchestra members||x||x|
|3. Orchestra 2010||x||x||x|